If you would like to consume some of your meals later in the week, you can freeze chicken, turkey, duck and salmon upon arrival.
The safest way to thaw meat is to do this in the fridge. Plan ahead if using frozen food so you have enough time to thaw it safely in the fridge. Keep food being defrosted in a container and near the bottom of the fridge to stop any juices from spreading onto surfaces and other foods.
- If you can’t defrost food in a fridge you can use any (or a combination) of these methods:
- thaw in the microwave and use food immediately
- thaw under running cold water in an air tight container
- defrost on the bench for no more than 4 hours
- Once thawed, foods that are normally kept cold or kept hot must be refrigerated, cooked or kept hot.
- Food must be fully defrosted before being reheated or cooked.
For more information visit the MPI website.